Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Maya Angelou: Phenomenal Woman and an Elegant Lady of Color





It's been a while since I featured an ELoC on here and the death of Maya Angelou seemed like the perfect time to bring back something close to my heart.




I confess I'm not much for poetry. But Maya Angelou's poem Phenomenal Woman struck a chord with me from the moment I first saw it. The words came into my life at a time when I was most unsure of myself, of my looks, of my appeal. They stuck to my soul like glue, forever solidifying all of the positive affirmations my mother ever put in my head. Here was a woman writing exactly what my mother had been telling me all my life in such an elegant, memorably way.





Maybe moms know what they are talking about after all.





I have to confess though, I do talk real loud and as a mother, I shout more than I should.

"'Cause I'm a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That's me."

Maya Angelou, 1928 - 2014


1 comment:

  1. I haven't read much of her poetry but I read all four biographies and she is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete