Thursday, January 10, 2013

Yummy food




I have a love hate relationship with grocery shopping. I adore having a plan, knowing that I'm going to cook, walking in the store with a list that's written according to how I might find those items in the store. However, I procrastinate like a mother heifer when it comes to actually making the list, to actually getting to the store. The plan is supposed to see my behind getting up and getting dressed like a decent human and then heading out to the commissary as soon as mr man get home from work. 



Instead, he walks through the door at 9:30 and I'm snuggled under the covers, braless, watching a crappy movie with Keira Knightley, and resisting the urge to strangle my dog for incessantly licking the stupid blanket. And nope, I wasn't exactly itching to crawl out of there either. 



But I have crockpot dinner planned for tonight and if I didn't get back in time, well, what's the point of using the crockpot if you aren't going to give that crap time to do . . . well crockpot stuff?

Thank God for bad movies. My irritation over the crappy plot and disappointing costuming was just what I needed to get me going for the day. I mean seriously, the movie was called Silk and set in 19th century France and yet there were no decent gowns to speak of, just the an interesting bit of smocked cotton sleeve. No wonder Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 7%.

Okay, so the color is pretty too.


I was so annoyed by the lack of Victorian Era (or whatever they call it in France) fashion that I left the house in disgust without eating.



It's never a good idea to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, particularly when your grocery store of choice thinks it's a brilliant idea to shove all the chocolate, oreos, fancy butter cookies from Austria, and gingerbread baking mixes right up in the doorway, taunting you, calling to you like a long, lost, tasty friend.




But I held firm. I bought only what was on my list . . . until I got to the bread aisle and spied a tasty chocolate muffin. Then I broke.



I did manage to talk myself out of the McDonald's drive thru window so hooray for small victories.



And that's my long, drawn out introduction to this week's menu.

Thursday: Crockpot Teriyaki chicken (you have to scroll down to find it.)
Friday: Funeral Sandwiches and munchos
Saturday Breakfast: Pancakes and Sausage (mr man is out of town so creativity is for the birds this weekend)
Saturday: Sausage, peppers, and potatoes
Sunday: Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, cornbread twists, and the hummingbird cake I didn't make last week because I was tired after going ice skating and/or being a lazy heifer
Monday: Meatball subs and sweet potato fries (tator tots for boring old mr man)
Tuesday: Beef and barley soup

I spent $122.82 but I also bought $10 worth of paper towels and baby food. But the commissary didn't have any sub rolls, I forgot to put frozen veggies for the soup on my list and I realized after putting away the groceries that we have three eggs. But that's still under $150 so . . .





1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love food! I love shopping for it, cooking / baking it, and eating it!

    Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I'm looking for 1950's dress patterns similar to this: http://www.rhinestonesandtelephones.blogspot.ca/2012/12/creative-goals-for-2013.html. Something that works well for freezing winter! LOL! I'm a 36B, 28W. You can email me at rhinestonesandtelephones[at]gmail[dot]com.

    ReplyDelete