Saturday, January 26, 2013

I love finding new things

As I was bouncing along the interwebs, looking for something to do, up popped Heather B showing off her son's snazzy dragon jams. After reading her glowing report on the pattern maker, I thought I'd swing by and wouldn't you know it, I fell in love.

You see, I've been trying to decide if I should sew a swimsuit, Burda's Alison pattern to be specific. I added it to my library when I first discovered BurdaStyle but the very idea of sewing a knit was intimidating at the time, much less swimsuit fabric so it joined the massive stash where a hot mess's grand plans fizzle away into nothing. It was briefly awakened by the discovery of an absolutely perfect white on red polka dot swimsuit fabric from Michael Levine Inc but faded again when I found I'd have to buy a full yard of the stuff and let the rest languish. I mean what are the odds that I'll find another use for swimsuit fabric?

By now you're probably wondering what this had to do with dragon jams and for that, I wholeheartedly apologize. I'm pretty sure I'm high on albuterol at this point so you'll have to bear with me. What was my point again?

Yes! Discoveries. Heather B's blog lead me to my new best friend, the Peekaboo Pattern Store because what else should one do with swimsuit fabric besides make another swimsuit, yes?


So here's the plan. I'm going to make my throwback retro suit from the blue and use the white on red for the bust. I'll be needing you keep your fingers crossed that between a structured bra insert and some modification of that back strap I'll be able to keep the sisters in check. Meanwhile, Pinky's suit will be made from the white on blue with navy ruffles to make it entirely too cute. 

Do you think she's too old for ruffles on her butt? Yeah, I really don't care. She's getting them.

Also on my mind from Peekaboo, these baby patterns.



I can't decide which one I like more. The Lazy Days Romper pattern could resolve that issue of never having anything to sew for baby boys that is cute enough to rival what I can find at a store for about the same overall cost. But at just 2/3rds of a yard, maybe less, I could definitely whip up a few cute ones for the bood (rhymes with food.) There are a ton of cute little boy knits out there just calling my name. Like these from The Fabric Fairy.





Fabric Fairy also has some really adorable boardshort fabric that would look really cute in the Pier 49 pants, wouldn't you agree?



This will all have to wait until closer to summer though as we there is waaaaaaaayyy too much crap on my dining room table, too much stuff recently arrived from exotic locals for me to even think about adding to the mess. You can stop laughing now, I really will try. Besides, I'd hit my max for a while. Let's turn out some stuff first. How about that?

Okay, fine. I do want to know. Are nine year olds too old for butt ruffles? Will you feel sorry for my child? Don't bother making the argument that other children will point and laugh, pinky doesn't care. She already takes crap for her Avengers lunchbox. The kids at school say it's a boy lunchbox and therefore, must be one of pete's hand me downs.

Have I mentioned that kids are stupid?

Yes, indeed.

So yay or nay on the butt ruffles?

6 comments:

  1. Nay! Only because...idk why. I just say nay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe ask Pinky what she thinks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of butt ruffles. I'm patiently waiting for them to come into style for adults, then I'm totally bouncing on that trend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own ruffle butt undies, so I am the wrong person to ask. I don't think you're ever too old for ruffle butts unless you're not into them. What are pinky's thoughts on ruffle butts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your swimsuit comes out a success I'll pay you to make me the same one. That style is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I had a ruffle on a suit I had when I was about 8, and I loved it. Maybe three rows of 2.5-3-inch and fairly loosely gathered, so a bit more flowy and "sophisticated" than many tightly bunched rows a la baby bloomers.

    ReplyDelete